Is OpenERP ready for Primetime in the US?

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

I have had a recent email conversation with a gentleman about OpenERP and its readiness for US-based small businesses.  It's an excellent question, and one I am currently evaluating, and have been for a month or two.

OpenERP, if you do not know, is a modular-based ERP software solution that is more of a framework than most ERP solutions I have seen.  It is built on Postgres and Python, two of my favorite things.  The website touts over 300 modules that are available to plug into your OpenERP solution.  It's feature list is large and broad, to say the least, with modules for Document Management, Wiki, Portals, HR, Projects, and more.

I have downloaded and installed OpenERP on Windows and on Linux.  There is a fat client and also a web client with equal functionality (as far as I have seen so far).  There is also a SaaS version called Odoo (http://odoo.com) that is very reasonably priced.  Although the SaaS version does not let you install all the available modules, but it does tell you why it is that way.

So, do I think it's ready for primetime in the US for small businesses?  For the most part, I would say it is.  The price tag of the software itself is unbeatable (free) and the modules and features are solid.  Other packages will do other things better, but not at the price and perhaps not as integrated.

More to come as I keep learning it and evaluating.

Comments

2 Responses to “Is OpenERP ready for Primetime in the US?”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

David Richards said...

Chris,

I've been on the same path for a few months with my company. There have been a few things to figure out, and I've partnered with a group in India to assist me with any integration or implemenation hurdles I might have. The way this team explains it to me, there's an OpenERP way, and as long as I don't fight that, things tend to work out. I am generally pleased, however.

December 10, 2009 at 4:04 AM
Chris said...

David,

Thanks for the information! I think that is the way OpenERP wants it - that there is a way to get it done, whether there is an existing module to use, or a new use of an existing feature, or developing a new module. I would love to know how you use it!

March 29, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Post a Comment