GP Sales Cube with Pentaho

Tuesday, December 8, 2009


I now have Pentaho talking with my Dynamics GP data in SQL Server 2005.  I have since been able to make a Sales Transaction cube using the Pentaho Data Integration tool along with the Schema Workbench.

The Data Integration tool is used for the ETL/Integration portion of the process.  It reads data from GP and creates dimensions and the resulting fact table.

The Schema Workbench is used to create the Analysis views that will be available in Pentaho's Mondrian Schema.  It's an XML file that lists out my dimensions I define (Time, Sales Territory, Customer Class, Item Class) and some measures.  You use this tool to publish the schema file to Pentaho so you can use the User Console to create a new Analysis View and slice and dice your data.

I have also worked a little with the Design Studio and created some xaction files that generate flash-based charts using my GP data.  The examples are quite helpful, as well as the Pentaho Wiki on Charting.  These xaction files also are accessed via the Pentaho User Console.

Next step - refining my Sales Cube and using the Community Dashboard Framework (CDF)!

Comments

3 Responses to “GP Sales Cube with Pentaho”
Post a Comment | Post Comments (Atom)

Ram's said...

Hi Chris
I am trying to create a new schema using MySQL database using Schema Workbench from Pentaho. But I am not able to do so, while creating the schema I am not able to view the tables that are there in my SQL database, any pointers will be appreciated.

December 19, 2009 at 7:42 AM
CRM Parker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator. January 8, 2010 at 5:01 AM
Chris said...

Ram's -

Under Tools - Preferences, I have the following:

Driver Class Name: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

Connection URL: jdbc:sqlserver://localhost;databasename=TWO_GL (note - this is my "data warehouse" database, which I setup using Pentaho's ETL tool)

And then username, password, and schema.

Under the Schema Workbench directory, in the drivers folder, I have the sqljdbc.jar file. I also put that JAR file in the lib directory just to make sure.

After all that, I was able to make a new schema, and add my tables from the SQL database. I had to specify the schema as 'dbo' and then I get a list of the tables when adding a new table or dimension to my cubes.

March 29, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Post a Comment